They say everything’s bigger in Texas, but the flavour of our Southwestern Ontario-laid Conestoga Farms Free Run Omega-3 Eggs are up to the challenge! Declare a winner in your kitchen when you try this delectable Don’t Mess with Texas Eggs recipe, created by Cheese Boutique’s own Afrim Pristine.
Prep: 15 Minutes
Cook: 20 Minutes
- ½ Medium red bell pepper
- ½ Medium yellow bell pepper
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 Medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 can White kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 Medium plum tomatos, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 2 ½ cups Good quality tomato sauce
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- ½ tsp Freshly ground pepper
- 6 large Conestoga Farms Free Run Omega-3 Eggs
- 1 Crusty bread
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Cut the three types of bell peppers into strips lengthwise.
- In a 12-inch (30 cm) oven-safe skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Sauté́ the onion, garlic, and white kidney beans for approximately five minutes or until softened and starting to caramelize.
- Add the bell peppers, tomatoes, and chili powder. Cook for an additional five minutes.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the skillet, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spacing them evenly around the skillet, crack the eggs, one at a time, into the skillet. Do not stir.
- Top the mixture with Monterey Jack cheese, and place in the preheated oven. Bake for three to four minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Scoop the eggs and tomato sauce onto serving plates and serve immediately with crusty bread.
Excerpted from For the Love of Cheese: Recipes and Wisdom from the Cheese Boutique by Afrim Pristine. Copyright © 2018 Afrim Pristine. Photography copyright © 2018 Steven Elphick. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.